Audubon House – Key West

The current home known as Audubon House was built by Captain John Huling Geiger in the 1840s for his family.  The family lived in the house for almost 100 years.

February_185

For six weeks in 1832, John James Audubon stayed at a home that was located on the property before Captain Geiger built the present house.  It was during these six weeks that John James Audubon painted 22 of his 435 Havell plates that represent birds.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

In 1958, when the current house was in dilapidated condition it was rescued and became the Audubon House.  It was then that it was converted to a museum and tropical gardens.  It was during this restoration that it was decided that since John James Audubon had stayed at the property that the museum would depict what it was like to live on Key West island during this period.

February_174February_183

The tropical gardens on the property are well-known for their large collection of orchids.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.